Saturday 2 June 2012

Posted by Sarah 2-6-2012

We are back..............................................................................


Emma and I survived The Great Wall of China Trek and have been back a week now, back to work and back to reality :(


It has all gone so quick with nearly 2 years of fundraising and training we have achieved the biggest challenge we have ever set ourselves! We are so glad we completed the trek but boy it was tough, we didn't expect it to be easy but nothing could prepare us for the terrain we were trekking on as you will see from the photo's we will put up.
So much to tell you, where to start, 1st of all Charity Challenge www.charitychallenge.com the company we booked through were terrific the whole tour was so well organised we didn't have to worry about a thing.


On arrival at Beijing airport we were meeted and greeted by Sarah our challenge leader and Chris & Martin our 2 Chinese guides who were all going to be with us throughout our trek. We also met up with our fellow trekkers and as the week went on we all got to each other really well.


As I said so much to say, so will go into detail about some things and give you highlights of others. The accommodation we stayed in throughout the trek was so much better than what I was expecting so for that I was grateful and I will never take anything for granted again! We were lucky in all the rooms, lodges & hotels we stayed in we were lucky enough to have loos the same as we have here. I know you are thinking what are you talking about please see below to see what I am talking about.


This was a good squat loo!




In China they have squat loos with no toilet roll available but lucky enough for us we only had to use these when we were out in public. So when we were out & about tissues, baby wipes & hand gel was a must!


The food we had when we were away was good but all the Chinese eat is hot Chinese food (more or less what we get back home) morning, lunch & dinner. At our 1st meal we were given chopsticks to eat with, well I had to laugh as the thought had not even entered my mind before I left that I would be eating with these. The 1st night we were given a fork all other meals after this we only had chopsticks, I have to say I was a pro by the end of the week however it takes ages to eat your meal!



Food I really missed was fruit, veg & crisps, here at home I always have at least 1 pack of crisps a day!


Between Emma and I we have about 3000 photo's, plus film footage and I still haven't been through them all yet!


More to follow very soon x


I would like to say a big thank you to Sarah, Chris & Martin you guys are amazing and couldn't have done it with out you.

No comments:

Post a Comment